Welcome!

I craft! Spinning, sewing, knitting, quilting...it's all here, along with so much more. I just love making things and writing about them. I hope you'll join me.

Craftsy

Craftsy

Search This Blog

Monday, January 16, 2012

A step in the right direction

When I really began crocheting in earnest, I started collecting yarn and patterns. At first, it was an innocent hobby. I discovered new yarns that weren't available in my local store. I had to have them, touch them, use them. I went yarn crazy. The patterns became organized on CDs and in filing cabinets. Then the pamphlets required binders with clear pockets to keep them organized. Eventually I had enough of these and books to fill up a bookcase. That was just the beginning.

Being a dedicated Eclectic, I found interest in other crafts. Knitting still required yarn, but new notions, needles, patterns, and books were also in order. Then came some sewing projects. These required fabrics. Yummy, delicious, colorful materials in solids, prints, and patterns that just needed one or two other matching fabrics. And of course, there are ribbons, rick-rack, pins, needles, bobbins, thread...books... you see where this is going.

Quilting required even more books and fabrics and a recent acquisition of said products from another crazy quilter left me with boxes filled and no place to put these wonderful treasures. Of course, I also didn't want to get rid of any of it. This is a sickness that crafters share, creating an idyllic world where they have all supplies on hand so they may continue to craft until they drop.

Our recent move not only lifted my heart and spirits, but it also gave me a craft area separate from my sleeping area. An entire room, dedicated to what I love. So after putting away the requisite things in the kitchen, living room, bedroom and bathroom, I got to unpack my sewing room. And I decided that now was the time to organize! It's been more than a week, and I'm almost done. But the rewards are decidedly worth the time and effort. Here is a sample of the fabric shelves:


I have also sorted through all of my sewing notions, eliminated two of the peg boards that were major eyesores, replacing them with storage containers in a cleaned out sewing desk. I do still have one peg board, but that has gone down from the 3 that I previously had that never really worked. 



The sewing machine, jewelry desk (yes, another obsession), and cutting table all have their little areas. I even have room to add a quilting rack if I ever decide that I want to hand quilt. 





I can't wait to get in and finish a couple of quilts and work on some other projects. I haven't even been to my local Hobby Lobby in the last few weeks; probably because of the move, the unpacking, and organizing, but it still counts. Of course, I have the garden coming up in a couple of months, and I'm collecting for that, so I may need some more bookshelves for the books. But we'll take this one step at  a time. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi- Your new space looks great! I envy the large space and the floors..(I have carpeting as I sew in a bedroom).
    Visiting from QQQ Team. Come by my blog sometime and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You room looks great. I am lucky enough to also have a space just for sewing, knitting and crochet supplies oh and also paper crafting! Stop by and read my blog.

    http://twistedsticks2.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really are lucky to have so much room. The shelves look brilliant too!

    I'm visiting via my blog http://sylviesdesigns.blogspot.com where I have written a bit about you :-) so stop by and have a look. also stop at the blog and shop hop and put your blog and shop info on there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much space! It looks great. I pray that one day I will be lucky enough to have my own craft/diy space. Between all of that and my teaching/education supplies, I appear to be quite the hoarder. lol

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I try to respond to each and every one. Please note that all comments are moderated and it may take a little while for your comment to appear. :)

Craftsy

Craftsy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...