Welcome!

I craft! Spinning, sewing, knitting, quilting...it's all here, along with so much more. I just love making things and writing about them. I hope you'll join me.

Craftsy

Craftsy

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Don't Settle for Second Best

A few weeks ago I posted about Valentine's Day and the need for real romance. I see a lot of young girls - and some older ones to be honest - that don't know their own worth. Living here in the south I'm constantly subjected to women who feel that they have to wait hand and foot on some lazy a-- man that can't get up and do for himself. Or obey his every wish and command because he is the man. Really? I mean, are we still living pre-1950s? Women have come a long way, but this backward mentality really irks me.

And let's put this in perspective a little bit more, shall we? I am a stay-at-home mom that loves to quilt, sew, knit, crochet, bake, cook, and keep my home looking nice. I also have a master's degree that should I choose to put to use I could. This is not about repression. This is about a choice that I have available to me and what I CHOOSE to do. This is not because I want to let my husband work and be 'the man' while I take care of the kids and play little miss Hobby Homemaker. That right there will set me off and you won't hear the end of it for weeks, my friend. I believe that for anyone to feel truly free they must have the ability to choose for themselves. If I had to, I could go back to work and put my kids in daycare. But I CHOOSE this lifestyle.

Now on to another point or two. Why do we feel like we have to settle? Second best? Third best? Maybe even less because we think we can't find anyone that will love us beyond themselves? I'm sorry, but I think a man should put his wife above himself. And in all honesty girls we should love our husbands more than ourselves. When we want to give to someone, and they want to give to us, that's not subjection - it's love. Find someone that complements you, respects the fact that you have a brain and can do for yourself if they're not in the picture, and encourages you in your pursuits.

And if you think those men don't exist, please check again. They do, they are out there. And the ones that don't think this way and that believe you were put here to serve them? Leave them behind until they realize that if they want a good woman, they have to work for it.

Here's a blast from the past for you, expressed only as Madonna can express it. (And DO NOT get into a GAGA/MADONNA controversy with me. They are separate artists, with different songs, each with their own strengths and beauty.)

http://youtu.be/GsVcUzP_O_8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I try to respond to each and every one. Please note that all comments are moderated and it may take a little while for your comment to appear. :)

Craftsy

Craftsy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...