Welcome!

I craft! Spinning, sewing, knitting, quilting...it's all here, along with so much more. I just love making things and writing about them. I hope you'll join me.

Craftsy

Craftsy

Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Tuesday Needlework: Yarn Bombing

Obviously I knit and crochet. Obviously I love yarn and many things made from it. I think it is an art form that some master with skill. I find value in wool, cotton, and natural materials gathered, spun, dyed, and distributed. Obviously I think yarn bombing is the biggest waste of time, energy, talent, and yarn that ever existed. Yep, I said it. It's a waste. I'm a huge fan of art, too. Creating it and distributing it and appreciating it. In a wide variety of forms. But to me, yarn bombing is a desperate cry for nothing better to do with one's time than make tubes to tie on trees.

It looks terrible. Nature can never be improved in any way by knitting something to put on it. And defacing someone else's art (statues, sculptures, etc.) by putting YOUR yarn on it is sacrilegious. It irritates me in ways I can't even explain. Especially when I see these long works that took hours to make (and who knows how much wool and/or polluting acrylics) draped over some bush in the park, doing nothing more than interfering with natural beauty and wildlife. And why in the world would it make any kind of a statement to cover a bridge in yarn? The whole thing just grates on my nerves and I want to scream, "DO SOMETHING GOOD WITH YOUR TALENT! If you want to use up yarn and time, do it for a good cause!"

Then, I seen this:

My Facebook was blowing up with it! Not only was it being shared by every single knitting group that I like, but my friends were also sharing it. According to CTVNews this yarn bomber was leaving notes attached that said to "take the scarf it you need it!" Wow. I'm already impressed. No name was associated with it, just a good Samaritan. THIS was impressive. THIS was important. THIS was worthwhile. 

I run an organization called Warm up the Boro. I collect and make hats and scarves to donate to the needy in our community. I've been doing it for a little over a year now, and we just had our first distribution. It's been difficult to get donations locally, so I have some plans to try and expand it. BUT! I wish you could've seen the faces of those that got their new hats this past weekend. Many were overjoyed and enormously thankful. 

Donation day. We had already given out a bunch of hats!

Part of our collection! 
No, I didn't yarn bomb, but I can see the potential in this! Whoever did this doesn't care what your circumstances are, here is a free scarf. This was done with intent and purpose and a great outcome. 

Now, before someone jumps down my throat about my OBVIOUS hatred of yarn bombing, let me say that I DO know that some of these other works are donated to shelters and such after the bombing. That's great. I really can't say anything bad about that. My distaste comes from those that just leave it. I've never met a fire hydrant that needed a scarf. Not. One. Although a dog could probably see some wiping value in it. 

Now about knitting and crocheting food...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I try to respond to each and every one. Please note that all comments are moderated and it may take a little while for your comment to appear. :)

Craftsy

Craftsy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...