Welcome!

I craft! Spinning, sewing, knitting, quilting...it's all here, along with so much more. I just love making things and writing about them. I hope you'll join me.

Craftsy

Craftsy

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuesday Needlework: Using Crochet in Sewing

Crochet in all of its variations was traditionally used to make lacy items that women then added to clothing and accessories. Over the years it developed into doilies and bed spreads, clothing, and much, much more. I didn't learn about thread crochet until I was about 19 and saw a beautiful Barbie Doll wedding dress in an issue of Crochet World. My first lessons in crochet had used worsted weight yarns to make afghans and later on bed doll dresses. I wasn't taught the nuances of correct gauge and yarn weights or that there was so much variety for this form of needlework. Once I started buying these magazines, though, I realized the possibilities were  nearly endless.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I honestly believe there are uses for crochet that are more appealing than others. I don't care for crocheted clothing. But I DO love the look of crochet in other applications. I also like to go back to the roots of an intended use for a technique. So when I was planning the skill-builder sewing series I decided I would also make some of the lace accessories used in the patterns. Unfortunately, it's hard to actually find some of the materials because the book is more than 20 years old. Which also justifies making them.
For the pincushion we need a 4" crochet doily as an applique. You can find these in some craft and sewing stores or online, but it is difficult to find the right size. My best argument for creating my own is that I know where my labor is sourced from.
I used e-patternscentral.com to find my doily, but a web search would also turn up some really great patterns. I used pattern #13 from the book Miniature Doilies. This is what I ended up with! It took me about 1 hour to finish, which I did while waiting on my kids to get their teeth cleaned. Good way to spend a dental visit.
Doily #13
Doily #13
We'll be discussing making entredeux on our next Friday Tutorial. Entredeux is French for "between two" and when used in sewing is a bit of lace or decoration that goes  between two pieces of fabric for stability. I hope you'll join me in learning how to make this beautiful traditional decoration and for our Skill-builder sewing series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! I try to respond to each and every one. Please note that all comments are moderated and it may take a little while for your comment to appear. :)

Craftsy

Craftsy

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...